Tuesday 6 March 2012

Tutorial Two - Occupational Engagement, Doing, Being, Becoming and Belonging

My fieldwork setting was a school for children with disabilities.  My chosen occupation within this context was Intensive Interaction.  "Intensive interaction is designed to meet the learning needs of people who are still at early stages of communication." taken from http://www.intensiveinteraction.co.uk/about/who-is-intensive-interaction-for/.  It is a type of communication where the student leads and is in charge and the adult copies.  I chose this topic because it complimented our learning regarding Do, Be, Become & Belong.

My role was to mirror the behaviour and vocalisation of a 12 year old male student diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy.  I would share personal space, make eye contact, exchange facial expressions, copy the sounds he made and a variety of other techniques.

Doing - Hammell 1998 (as cited in Hammell, 2004, p. 301) defined as "The purpose of doing, includes purposeful, goal orientated activities.  The purpose of this occupation is to fully engage the student facilitating two-way communication and providing them with the means to enjoy being expressive and feeling connected.

Being - "Being has been defined as the time taken to reflect, be introspective or meditative, (re)discover self, savour the moment, appreciate nature, art or music in a contemplative manner and enjoy being with special people." Hammel 1998a (as cited in Hammel, 2004, p. 301).  This feeling of Being is what I got out of the experience, I as well as the student appreciated the quality time spent fully engaging with each other without the distraction of t.v, internet, music and so forth. 

Belonging - Rebeiro et al 2001 (as cited in Hammell, 2004, p. 302) defined belonging as "The neccessary contribution of social interaction, mutual support and friendship, and a sense of being included, to occupational preformance and life situations."  I can understand that my engaging the student that he would of sensed that feeling of belonging but I believe that I got more out of it.  It opened the students up to me as I spent that one on one time with me.  Although I was only seeing them once a week for a few hours they didn't forget me and their faces would light up each time I walked into the room.  This occupation allowed me to be accepted and belong to their classroom which I found really rewarding.

Becoming - Hammel 1998a (as cited in Hammell, 2004, p. 302). "Becoming describes the idea that people can envision future selves and possible lives, explore new opportunities and harbour ideas about who or what they wish to become over the course of their biographies and how their lives might be experienced as worthwhile.".  The work that I did with the children definitely inspired me to continue my path as and Occupational Therapist.  Upon leaving my setting I received a class photo of all the children I hang that on my wall so everytime that I'm feeling tired and beaten by my studies I look at their smiling faces and remind myself its all worth it.

Reference:
Hammell, K. (2004). Dimensions of meaning in the occupations of daily life. Canadian journal of occupational therapy, 71 (5), 296-305





No comments:

Post a Comment